In December I attend a 5 day bridal work shop with the world renowned Elstile in sunny Pasadena, California. Elstile is a Russian hairstyling company that has been blowing up the bridal hair world with their romantic, effortless and intricate hairstyles for the last few years. If your a bride-to-be it is highly likely that you have a least one of their sought after hairstyles on your Pintreast board, and they are come of the most requested hairstyles from our BHC brides.
I am a huge believer in education and much of my success has come from being able to offer our brides relevant, wearable hairstyles and when our brides started requesting these hairstyles I knew it was time to update my skill set and become Elstile certified.
The class was the perfect size of seven students and our day was broken up into a look and learn in the morning and a practical lesson in the afternoon, our teacher Martin was everything you hope for in a teacher patience, talented, passionate and encouraging. Everything he touched turn to gold ,well hairstyle gold at least! The first day was the most challenging learning the Elstile signature curling technique of texture and volume waves whilst mastering the Elstile curling wand which is unlike any wand I have used, though after you get it its a game changer to longer lasting curls.
Our teacher explained that: " In Russia the clients expect to spend many hours in the salon to create these hairstyles and if they are created quickly, it would be assumed that the hairstylist has created an average hairstyle or is inexperienced. In LA the clients expect these hairstyles to be created quickly within in an hour, if the stylist takes longer it is assumed they are a beginner or inexperienced". Striking a balance is key, as professionals it's our job to ensure our clients understand the complexly and time required to create these works of art. As you know roman was not built in a day and great hair was not styled in 20 mins!
I took away so much from this bridal work shop and it has added a whole new skill set and knowledge base that I cant wait to share with all our BHC brides. I am sharing some tips for brides-to-be and hairstylists who are seeking the Elstile look:
Tips for brides:
- Choose a hairstylist that is Elstile certified or has completed their on-line course. Ensure your hair stylist is comfortable and confident in re-creating the Elstile hairstyles before booking their services.
- The majority of the Elstile hairstyles require hair extensions and padding, consult with your hair stylist prior to your hair trial to ensure you purchase the correct length/weight of hair extensions for your hairstyle choice.
- Depending on your hairstylists level of experience these looks can take a minim of 1.5 to 2.5 to create, they are full of intricate detailing and take time to create. So make sure you account for this in your wedding day schedule.
Tips Hair stylists
- If you are considering attending the practical workshop in Pasadena, I would recommend completing a least one on-line hairstyle technique before attending, so you can master how to use Elstile curling wand and you have a basic understanding of their signature setting style.
- I found the course to be an advanced level that would be ideal for a qualified hairdresser or students that have hair knowledge and styling skills.
- Elstile signture curls have varying degrees of longevity with there texture curls lasting 2-3 hours and ideal for a photoshoot, the volume curls are better suited for bridal hairstyling lasting 6-8 hours.
- Elstile hairstyles are complex and require time to re-create all the detail that is evident in their signature looks, if you are looking to create a quick hairstyle on a bride with limited time I would recommend suggesting an alternative hairstyles for your client.
If you enjoyed our blog follow us on Instagram @bridalhaircollectivebrides